Sunday 24 June 2012

Fler chairs F. Lowen Design

SOLD : Fler chairs 
 




With much deliberation and after taking the photos of these and the Fler daybed as a group I decided that I would try and have them go into the future together.


Both pieces were designed by F. Lowen for Fler and I believe they were both produced here by Broadhead Bros Inc. I don't know what this thing I have about set's. I certainly know I won't break one up just to try and make money but to feel it is important to put sets together perhaps a madness of the naive. 








Friday 22nd June


Long day today, but the chairs are almost done. A few Little nips & tucks to do but they are looking great in their new clothes.  They have been recovered in the same fabric as the F. Lowen Fler daybed so that they can be used together.  I would love them to go together but as they never were a set they will probably be listed separately.

Friday 15th June 

The frames are coming up beautifully.  dripping with delicate little design details.  The first frame has had it's first coat of oil and a couple more hours of sanding today should see the second one finished.  





Wednesday 13th June
It was back to work on the Fler chairs today after a few days clearing up odds & ends on other projects.  It was more hand sanding and there is still more to come.  I also started assessing the Fler day bed that may be listed along side these.  Another day of sanding ahead but I am hoping to get the first coat of oil on tomorrow. 


Saturday 2nd June

I managed to get the second frame cleaned of it's old coating today but there is still plenty of work to do on both frames.  They were in pretty tired condition.  More sanding is required and it is slow going to make sure none of the delicate lines are changed. It is probably at least another full 12 hours of work before these are back together and getting their first coat of oil and that's before working with the new covers, although I think I know of the perfect material, and some great retro styled fabrics to choose from.    

Friday 1st June


I got these lovely Fler chairs the other day (thanks V for letting me use your pic).  I already had  a lovey Fler daybed in the workshop and thought I might be able to put together a really nice little set.  

I had already disassembled (please read; "ran out of space and took apart on arrival" hence using V's pic with kind permission).  I started work on one of the frames today.  The lines are, as expected from this iconic design firm, sublime.  I would guess they were produced here in NZ by Broadhead Bros rather than in Australia.  The detail is so sharp, so considered, right down to the underside of the arms.  Loose joints need to be reset, all coatings removed and new covers made.  These wont be coming up anytime soon as there is still so much work to do, but when they do... they are going to be a little cracker.