Sunday 20 May 2012

Don 3 Piece Mahogany & Kauri Lounge Suite

SOLD: Don 3 Piece Mahogany & Kauri Lounge Suite

View original listing 

It has taken about a week and it's not done yet, I have another set of throw cushions to finish and a few more coats of oil to go but she is pretty much complete.  Such a difference now to when she arrived. She is back to looking and feeling great.   I ran out of both light and energy today so better photos will be added tomorrow.

Really do love these sets, not sure what it is.  The simplicity, the confidence of the design? 



Saturday 12th May

There is nothing like seeing a good plan come together.  After some blood, sweat and sanding the end is in sight.  Still a little work and detailing to do but this set, like my own makes me smile.





Friday 11th May




The full set is finally back together and getting a coat of oil daily.  The repairs in the couch went well and have left only the slightest of visible signs where old nails were removed from the lower back beam. The seat support in the inside of the back beam had been damaged and a previous owner had tried to support it with nails.  It was all removed and reset properly.  It has resulted in a couple of extra screws but these are not visible as these have been reset properly from the inside.  

I had to put one small patch of fill on the inside back of the couch top but as it is on the inside it is not visible with the squabs in place.   I'm really happy with how she came back together.   The new foam arrived and if the weekend goes to plan this little girl should be listed on Sunday.  





 


Wednesday 9th May

Oh day three; The third day of sanding it always a little bit of trial, muscles hurt and it seems never ending. I got a little sidetracked today so we're not done yet, day 4...!  The sides of the couch, the front strut and the seat base are all done but the back will need a little more time tomorrow.  The two chairs are back together and re-set well.  Tomorrow should bring the end of the prep work and then it's on to the next phase.  I can see the finish line but it's still a little way off.  

Tuesday 8th May

Good day for the Don,  The chairs got their next 2 sandings and are waiting to be set back together. The wood looks lovely & will get the first coat of oil tomorrow. I managed to start the couch frame mid afternoon and that has had the first sand.  Another full day of sanding tomorrow, day three is always the killer!

Monday 7th May

I know a couple of you have been waiting to see this one get underway so I though I would post progress.  

I had already taken the pieces apart and today the two chairs were given the first two of four/five sands. All the old coating had to be removed as it was well beyond saving. Slowly, bit by bit, over the last 9 hours the wood started to show itself again. Revealed was the promise of some beautiful grain & tones from both the Mahogany and Kauri.  

After much internal debate, I have decided that this set will be recovered  in the burnt orange fabric that I favor so much (and is used on my own personal set).  I know there are still days to go but I can't wait to see it back to its former glory.   I found some fantastic retro fabric at the weekend - flower power -  I will be making up some cushions from it to accompany the set (of course those are optional, in case my floral love fest is not to everyones taste).